Written by Elizabeth Newton
Thousands of people are stopping smoking every month and the good news is, you can too. Here are 10 things you perhaps didn’t know about smoking. All the more reason to make today the day YOU decide to quit for life.
- We smoke as a result of both brainwashing and chemical addiction.
- It is not as addictive as we are led to believe. Some scientists estimate the addictive element (nicotine) is only 10% addictive.
- Most people who are hooked as adults disliked the taste of that first cigarette when they were adolescents.
- There is evidence to show that substitutes for smoking, eg gums or patches, actually make stopping harder and pangs seem worse.
- Cigarettes kill hundreds of thousands of people. This is more each year than heroin kills.
- The UK government makes £8,000,000,000 per annum out of nicotine addiction.
- Smoking affects the brain’s feel-good chemicals. Regular smokers are up to 80% more likely to be diagnosed as clinically depressed than non-smokers.
- Smoking is not a relaxant. It is a stimulant. Increasing blood pressure and putting extra strain on the cardiovascular system.
- Smoking increases the chance of contracting 14 different types of cancer. (Not just the lungs)
- Cigarettes contain cyanide, lead, mercury, and carbon monoxide.
Click here to find a solution-focused hypnotherapist near you who can help you to stop smoking.
Elizabeth Newton – Clinical Hypnotherapist
HPD, DSFH, AfSFH (Reg)
Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex CM24 8AA