Written by Elaine Way
The brain is a complex and fascinating organ. As a therapist and clinical hypnotherapist, I spend my time working with clients aiming to make their brain work better for them. But how much do you actually know about the brain? Here are 10 amazing brain facts:
- A normal brain is approximately 2% of a body’s weight, but uses around 20% of its total energy and oxygen intake.
- Pain is processed in the brain, but it has no pain receptors and feels no pain itself. This is why brain surgery can be performed while patients are awake.
- Neuroscientists estimate that 95% of decisions take place in your subconscious mind
- The brain’s composition is approximately 73% water. Dehydrating by 2% can affect your memory, attention levels and cognitive skills.
- The suggestion that we use only 10% of our brains is not correct. Modern brain scans show that we use most of our brain during day-to-day activities and even while we’re sleeping.
- The brain reaches full maturity at around 25 years of age.
- Scientists estimate that a piece of brain tissue the size of a grain of sand contains approximately 100,000 neurons.
- Your brain generates on average 14-25 watts of electricity. This would be enough to power a single low-watt LED light bulb.
- Scientists estimate that more than 100,000 chemical reactions are taking place in your brain every second.
- Current scientific estimates are that we have 86 billion neurons in our brain.
Solution Focused Studio
Two Oaks, 5A Valley Lane
Surrey GU10 3NQ
07824 711 699